4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:03 am 
Banned for being a dick

Galant VR4 Brake Conversion.

Ok this weekend I decided to convert my stock front Mirage Turbo brakes to Galant VR4 brakes.
Here is what you will need:
VR4 hub and nuckle assembly
VR4 rotor/disc (10.8 inches)
VR4 or Diamante Two piston calipers with bracket
VR4 or Diamante New Brake pads
15 inch or larger rims,( Stock turbo Mirage rims are 14 inch)
YOU WILL NEED an alignment after installation($59.00-75.00).

1) Inspect the hub and spindle, rotate it, make sure you do not feel it grinding or it stopping and starting, because this means you will need bearings.
($40.00 each side new, plus bearing seals inner and outer $8.00 each).
If the bearings are needing replacing then they will need to be pressed out and new ones pressed in,(around $70.00 for labor).

2) Inpsect Rotors/Disc if used then most likely you will want to have them turned, or resurfaced,($20.00 each).

3) Inspect the Calipers, make sure they slide back and forth and the pistons will compress inward, also check the rubber for being dried out and brittle. Pay attention to the Brake pad Clips, if they are missing you will have to buy them, ($21.00 four a 2 sets). **Never use gear grease or bearing grease on caliper slide bolts, always use Silicone grease.

4) Brake pads, just buy new ones do not try to reuse a set that came with your brake calipers, ($42.00 for a set of metalic pads).

You will need a 17mm socket and 17mm wrench, 10mm wrench, vice grips, pliers, pry bar, and a hammer.

Installation and removal is very straight forward:

Removal:
1) Jack up car and remove front tires.
2) Remove Axle cotter pin and bolt(See assembly notes below**).
3) Remove tie rod bolt., then force out the tie rod.(See assembly notes below***)
4) Remove two bolts from Strut and nuckle.
5) Remove Axle from Hub asemblyand swing it off to the side(you do not have to remove axle from tranny).
6) Remove nut from Nuckle and control arm.
7) Disconnect brake line(use vice grips to clamp off rubber line to stop brake fluid from draining out)(See assembly notes below****).
8 ) Remove Hub/nuckle/brake assembly.

To assemble reverse 8-1.
**Always use new cotter pins.
***When assembling note that the tie rod will now come from the bottom and nut will be on top of the nuckle not bottom.(this is why you will need an alignment after this swap. At this time I have positive 3 degrees camber.
****When installing the brake line to the calipers bleed lines afterwards to remove air.

I also noticed that my 205/55/15 are rubber my out fender lip, so had to go back to 195/50/15. Yes my car is lowered 1.25 inches from stock but the Galant Nuckle pushes the tire out further from the car giving you a little wider stance then what a stock mirage has.

Also this is a great time to replace Tie rods, Install new axles, replace leaky transmission seals and install stainless steel brake lines.

Stainles steel lines will run you about $145.00 to 175.00. Be sure you order the 8 piece set not the four piece set.

Just to let you know from personal experience, the Galant GS, GSX, and LS hubs and nuckles ARE NOT the same as the Galant VR4. I know because I tried it this weekend and the Rotor/Disc from a VR4 WILL NOT seat properly on to the Hub due to a beveled edge around the axle spline area. Galant GS/GSX/LS come with Single piston calipers and 10.5 inch rotors/discs. The discs are not press ons like the Mirage turbo, just standard style discs. The Galant GS/GSX/LS brakes would be a great swap for anyone in a non turbo Colt/Summit/Mirage.

I will post comparison pictures of the Turbo Mirage Brakes verses the Galant VR4 brakes Verses the Galant GS/GSX/LS brakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:39 am 
The happy administrator

It is possible to drill out the holes that the tie rods go into so that they can be put in the correct way, nut on the bottom. If the nut is on top, it introduces a lot of bump steer which can cause all sorts of problems.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 am 
The happy administrator

Wheel bearing part number for the bearing is MB303865

You will also need the 2 different seals per bearing (per side)
Front hub oil seal MB573309 & outer seal MB303875

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd