4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:45 am 
CSM Junkie

Yes the diode can only go one way...

The diode sounds like it is installed correctly...

Have you checked all your solder joints?

The diagram is pretty simple!

Mike

Check out my website: www.members.optusnet.com.au/~onnzo

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:01 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

ok. solder joints are all sturdy. i even soldered the crimp on connectors on the diag. port side. my cable is fine. the palm (m125) hotsyncs w/o problems. any other suggestions on what could be wrong?

for some reason it is so much more frustrating when electrical stuff doesn't work (as opposed to mechanical).

edit: oh yeah, my CEL is on but doesn't blink when you start the car, i remember ethereal once saying that this was a sign of a bad ecu. the question is, if the ecu is on its way out would that stop the diagnostic port from working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

the CEL could have somethignt o do with it - get a little led or piezo siren and read the code to see what it is.

Mike

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:47 am 

Quote:
so on the ECU side we have pin 1 for DATA pin 10 for DIAG and pin 12 for GND so i just splice into the wire for pin 12 with 10?? cause on the LAPTOP side there are only 2 wires.....(yes im slow... it's not my fault i was raised un moronville errrrrrr.....mormanville;) )
ok, Call me confused, but on all the schematics I can find, pin 10 is allocated to the "Air Flow Sensor", pin 12 is the Ignition timing adjustment connector, and pin 1 is the data.

Or is there another pinout site that has othe info on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:55 pm 
CSM Expert

Monsterbishi, it's pin 1, 10 and 12 on the diagnostic port rather than the ECU itself.

Helldonkey, when you put your ECU into diagnostic mode (by pulling pin 10 to pin 12 [ground]), no error codes are blinked out as this same line is used as the data line used for datalogging.
Does the CEL disappear when you unplug your logger cable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:16 pm 

about the PC using 12V and ECU using 5V. a positive line off a PC peripheral (serial, parallel, PCI, etc) is actually only 5V so there shouldn't be any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:28 pm 

i pulled the ecu, cracked it open, caps are a little leaky (and when i put it back in and drove the CEL was gone)...i'll fix that and then continue begging for help if it still won't log. thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:11 am 
CSM Expert

Quote:
about the PC using 12V and ECU using 5V. a positive line off a PC peripheral (serial, parallel, PCI, etc) is actually only 5V so there shouldn't be any problems.
I wouldn't bet so. The RS-232C/V.24 standards specify 15V for the data lines. PCs still get away w/ 12V, as the voltage for a logical high may be as low as 10V IIRC. PCI actually has 3.3V. However, the parallel ports often happen to have 5V TTL logics, except on some strange systems that use 3.3V there, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:07 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well, I got my datalogger working on my 4g15. Now the problem is, I don't understand most of it. I'm using MMCD, Is there a complete guide online? Other than this one: http://mmcd.meditprofi.ru/

Thanks

Rafa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:22 pm 

Quote:
Monsterbishi, it's pin 1, 10 and 12 on the diagnostic port rather than the ECU itself.
Yeah, I understand this now, was one of the many moments in my life where my brain was in Neutral and my fingers were in Gear...

I've got things all up and running now, fwiw on the JDM GVR4's, Datalogging wasn't possible until they released the Facelift models in late 1989, ie They switched to their new single board design of ECU which ran until 1995 in the E3's

My next mission will be to either find or write my own DOS based logging software so my puny 486 laptop can work ok...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:56 pm 
CSM Expert

So datalogging wasn't possible with the multiboard ECUs? Didn't some Hyundais happen to have such ECUs? IIRC Berserko found one of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:04 pm 

Quote:
So datalogging wasn't possible with the multiboard ECUs? Didn't some Hyundais happen to have such ECUs? IIRC Berserko found one of these.
Hmm, I guess the more accurate wording I should have used would have read: "Earlier dual board ECU's may be capable of logging, but use a different wiring layout to later ECU's"

Since all we tried on it was using the same pins to engage aldl and read the information as what the single board ones do. It could just be a case of the switch wire being different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:51 pm 

How do you guys connect it to diagnostic port (alligator clips, crimp-ons, etc.) ? Anybody knows part number for female diagnostic plug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:54 am 
CSM Junkie

Use use little push on connectors, no one sees it down there anyway...

Diagnostics plugs are expensive!

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:29 pm 

Ok, I need some help here.
Made my own cable ( according to the diagram ) and it doesn't work.
I have Visor Pro (Palm OS 3.52), my pinout is a little different than Palm ( Rx - 1, Grd - 4, Tx - 8 ), and I accounted for that in making a cable. Diod's stripe is facing away from Visor connector ( beats me how it's supposed to work - it is a Rx pin after all ), the rest is pretty obvious. Trying to connect 3rd day in a row without result. Gives me "Please turn on DSMLink", then "Serial error".
Is there any way to troubleshoot the diagnostic plug? Does cabling matter, I used a thin strained copper cable ( from low-volt power supply ), I figured the resistance should be negligible.

Last edited by sharkmobil on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next