4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:31 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

OK, now heres the real question. Will stock 1.5 bushings and mounts fit around a turbo csm/elantra sway bar????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:34 pm 

Quote:
Where is the part number listed that you guys used, so we can edit it out, or revise it with the proper numbers? I will change the archives if someone can PM the thread link. This thread deserves a space in the archives. stealthtt24, can you upload the photos and create new links to keep them active, but use the www.gallery.4g61t.org or www.galantvr4.org (gallery upload)? This thread has answered alot of questions that unless people have seen this issue before, we keep having to post links in all the threads that keep popping up. It would be nice to just be able to tell people that they can just find this thread in the suspension archive section. 8)
I will upload them when i get back to my house to the gallery at 4g61t... here is the WRONG PART NUMBER, DO NOT ORDER THIS UNLESS YOU ARE SURE ON WHAT YOU ARE ORDERING----- 9.5157G black, 9.5157R red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
OK, now heres the real question. Will stock 1.5 bushings and mounts fit around a turbo csm/elantra sway bar????
Stock c52a bushings will not fit the c53a turbo bar/Elantra bar. It's best to buy new ones, or get the proper urethane aftermarkte ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Stock c52a bushings will not fit the c53a turbo bar/Elantra bar. It's best to buy new ones, or get the proper urethane aftermarkte ones.
When you say new ones, do you mean new stock c53a turbo bushings? And as far as the proper urethane bushings, i have no idea what would fit now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:16 pm 

I added 3 pictures but cant upload the other ones cause they are too big :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:03 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Jeremy, thats what i was thinking, going back to stock.

Matt, can I get a link? No way in hell these are going in, time to start seeing if i can get maybe a store credit on these paperweights.
sorry i was mistaken, the ones superpro makes are the swaybar LINK bushings, not the ones you need

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 am 
The Silent Administrator

The bushings that are causing confusion are the ones that are sandwiched by a plate to the firewall base and encapsulate the stock rubber bushing that is wrapped around the sway bar. The smaller 18mm version will not fit the C53a/Elantra 21mm sway bar because the rubber bushing does not have larger enough center bore. The larger C53/Elantra bushing will accomodate the 21mm bore.

If you order a part from Superpro or a like distributor of Urethane suspension bushings, make sure you are getting the 21mm center bore and proper fitment to a C53a turbo mirage 1.6L DOHC (87-89 depending upon which side of the ocean you are ordering from).

Now for those wondering, the sway bar on the C53a Turbo model AND the 92-94.5/95(?) Elantra does not use the sandwich endlinks like the C52a base models do. The reason is because as pictured above, the endlinks are double ball and socket joints like a ball joint, 1 on top, 1 on the bottom. Tighter fit, no rubber to crack and fall out, and alot of other cars like the Stratus, Swift (Suzuki) and others all use a nearly identical part if not identical then very darn close. The idea of having a part that is almost the exact length between the center of each pivot joint is because a sway bar is supposed to have certain orientation up or down when compare to the suspension it was designed to be used with (starting angles and finishing angles at maximum twist under load or unloading of the suspension). We don't want to change these angles too much because it can change the "preload" that happens when the car wants to pivot due to body roll induced when cornering, or in general whenever the suspension is loaded. This is why we like a more stuff sway bar in the front, as it helps to control the "wallowing" effect the smaller sway bar was less likely to reduce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 am 

So it looks like ill be buying this from my local auto parts store?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 77&PTSet=A

Last edited by stealthtt24 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:04 pm 

Do they sell urethane bushings that have the same shape as the one on the right? If not, ill just have to suck it up and buy stock elantra bushings :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:24 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You probably have to buy Whiteline or similar bushings if you want urethane, or go to Mitsu or Hyundai and get the factory rubber style. Either way you have to have right style for it to fit properly. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:41 pm 

thanks ill call tein tomorrow