4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ok, I know there are a few people on here that would be interested in seeing how somebody has done this rear brake swap. I'm not saying this is the end-all, only way to do it....just how I chose to improvise and make it reliable/sturdy.

http://www.4g61t.org/gallery/v/members/ ... s/brkswap/

If you didnt know, the rear axle beam on the turbo mirage has mounting points for the brake line brackets, and the drum brake rear has a single line bracket welded to the axle. You will need to cut these brackets off the drum brake rearend, and come up with a new method to mount the lines.

Some things to note:
Mitsu has discontinued the short little hardlines that connect the two flexible lines. I was at the junkyard looking at 1G FWDs, and bought brackets and hardlines for that application. I made billet steel mounts that bolt to the lower strut bolt, and gives you a place to bolt the line brackets to. Armed with a drill, hacksaw, grinder, and a hunk of angle iron, you could replicate the functionality of these mounts with much less effort.

Mitsu also discontinued the M10x1.25 x 25mm bolts that connect the brake bracket-bracket (sorry, dont know the real name) that bolts to the rear beam with 4 of these bolts. Look at the pictures, read the descriptions, youll see what I mean. I got socket head cap screws from mcmastercarr. Add some lockwashers, done deal.

I used brembo OE replacement rotors, metal master pads, RRE braided SS lines, cardone reman rear calipers, stock mirage turbo brackets, swapped to a mirage turbo proportioning valve, mirage turbo master cylinder, and all new bushings/pins/clips/ebrake cables/dust shields/wheel bearings, etc.

The work has paid off. I will be abled to slow down in time for the first turnoff at the track this year! Yay! :D
Any questions, ask away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:55 pm 
CSM Junkie

*Edit* Cleaned up the thread for the archives - Flying Eagle

Thanks for the props everyone. :)
Quote:
thats one hell of a break line bracket.
LOL! Ok, I'll admit, its a bit overkill, but gets the job done. Its what I had to work with (H13 tool steel) which is a PITA, because it work hardens if you cut it too slow. (then it breaks end mills, which really sucks)
If I did it again, I would use 1-1/2" angle iron which is still an overkill for the application. Beats the heck outta zip ties though!
Quote:
Talk to PaulMezz Paul and we'll archive it somewhere
Feel free to clean this thread up for the archives...good stuff for those looking to upgrade their C52's, right along with 89miragemans post about the front brakes/front hub dismantling.
Would this go in the general and suspension category???