4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:51 pm 

Here are some pics of the front brake upgrade I've been working on. They are 92-95 Elantra slotted rotors and 1g FWD DSM calipers and pads. Everything fit together quite nicely. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet because I still have to do the other side.

Difference between the two.

One more.

I also replaced the ball joints, outer tie-rod ends and all bearings and seals. I'd also like to say thanks to Paul (pma1123) for walking me through everything. This was my first time working on a captive rotor setup. It really wasn't too bad if you have a small shop press.

Last edited by 89Mirageman on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

that looks very nice, let us know how well they work. so those are the only parts you need to make it work? what about brake lines? by the way i got the parts yesterday, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 am 

Yes, very nice setup indeed.

92 Laser RS AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:28 am 
The Silent Administrator

Post up part numbers and a "before th wheel went on" shot, and I think it is safe to say that this can be sent to the archives. Excellent tidbit of info with pictures to boot. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 am 
2nd Banana

Looks good. What kind of rotors are those?

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:58 am 
CSM Junkie

HAWT!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:15 am 
CSM Junkie

nice job man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:32 am 

Quote:
Post up part numbers and a "before th wheel went on" shot, and I think it is safe to say that this can be sent to the archives. Excellent tidbit of info with pictures to boot. 8)
Here are some pics w/o the wheels. As for part #'s I just ordered a set of front replacement rotors for a 92-95 Hyundai Elantra. They worked perfectly with my stock Colt hubs, bolted right on like the stock rotors did. If you were careful you could probably get by w/o replacing most of the maintenance items. I busted my rubber boots on the tie-rod ends and lower ball joints with a pickle fork removing them. I'm sure if I had used a puller instead those could have been reused. Mine had 120k and I was planning on replacing it all anyway.

For the calipers they are the stock ones removed from a 94 Plymouth Laser RS FWD turbo (my donor car). I went ahead and took them all apart and blasted the rust off and repainted them. I also got some rebuild kits from Advance Auto Parts and replaced all the rubber seals while they were apart. My advice on this would be to tear your caliper down and measure the piston as each year model has a few different ones to choose from. If you know the piston size you'll be sure to get the correct seals. The stock Laser caliper brackets were used also and the stock Colt brake lines threaded right in. Of course DSM FWD brake pads had to be used.

The captive rotor setup is a little harder to work on than regular ones but I chose to keep them over the Galant knuckles. How often do you actually replace rotors anyway? If anyone is interested I could do a little write-up on the other one when I do it. A small shop press is a must have for pressing bearings and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:39 pm 

Yes, a write up would be great, Im unsure as to how the captive rotors come apart, some pics of them disassembled would be great, thanks.

p.s. did you have to machine out the back of your rims to clear the bolts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:10 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Aweseom post man, please do that

how hard would it be to do with AWD breaks???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:02 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Pics of the hub assembly pulled apart are best left to the manual photos and CAPS pics. I've been there and you are no where near clean enough to take photos while doing it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:41 pm 
abnormal

:-D this my next mod while saving up for my motor and tranny ....thanks man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:04 pm 

redrum123

I don't believe it would be possible to use the twin piston calipers from the AWD cars unless a bracket was machined or larger rotors (turbo Colt/Mirage rotors maybe?) were used. Believe me I considered it but I already had these calipers laying around collecting dust. Besides if the single piston calipers are good enough for a DSM they should provide more than enough braking for a car that weighs a thousand pounds less.

proracedriver616

I am using a wheel spacer to clear the bolt heads. I thought about modding my wheels so that I could leave the spacers off but decided to just paint them black to match the wheels instead.

stock92colt

Why not just buy a turbo FWD DSM as a donor car? It's much cheaper than buying everything piece by piece. Then you'd also have some calipers for the brake upgrade. I've also been looking at the Laser's rear axle beam and I'm pretty sure I can mod it to fit the Colt. This is my next project- rear drum to disc conversion.

I will be sure and take some pics when I do the other side. Actually I'll ask my wife to take them, as Flying Eagle stated this isn't exactly a clean job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:33 pm 
abnormal

Quote:

stock92colt

Why not just buy a turbo FWD DSM as a donor car? It's much cheaper than buying everything piece by piece. Then you'd also have some calipers for the brake upgrade. I've also been looking at the Laser's rear axle beam and I'm pretty sure I can mod it to fit the Colt. This is my next project- rear drum to disc conversion.

I will be sure and take some pics when I do the other side. Actually I'll ask my wife to take them, as Flying Eagle stated this isn't exactly a clean job.
I would I only wish I could buy a donor car but it's bad enough with my brothers car (1), my parents cars (3),and my cars(3) like there's one car in the garage and that's only because it's a ford model t and it has no top, but if I could get a donor dsm I would, I had a 93 eclipse rs and then it was traded for the colt and then the dsm was sold off it was the crappy 1.8 anyways my stock 1.5 smoked that dumb car haha. But ya I just dont have the room or money for a donor dsm. Anyhow I like to start off fresh, but I bought a pair of front calipers from ebay for $40 I really can't argue cuz i'm gonna have all new bigger brakes for even still cheaper then autozone HAHA, Oh ya 89mirageman will you make me that plug and play harness I'll go back over everything but if you will just name ur price man. I'm still waiting to get the mounts the the mail tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:50 pm 

That's understandable man. A donor DSM isn't any good if you don't have room to store it. The mounts are on the way, you should get them early next week. I'd be happy to make that harness for you, it's not hard at all. Just very time consuming. When do you plan to have your swap completed? If you need it within the next few weeks you can get mine and I'll just fab up another one for my car. Let me know...